Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!

Today is the day! Today is the day that a new president will be chosen by...us, the people of this nation. It is our civic duty to vote. It should go without a doubt that if you don't vote you shouldn't have a say in this government. I'm not trying to sound harsh. I'm just trying to be realistic. If you think I am being harsh then thats fine..I've already voted. As I sit here in the lobby of the UL I see people pass by on their way to voting or they are just coming from voting. The conversations of everyone today have been in some way related to the election. Some are fearful, some are joyful, and some are just clueless.

Last night I had a conversation with someone who said they weren't going to vote at all. I was so appalled and taken a back by his statement that I didn't know what to say for about 20 seconds. Then today in my psychology class my professor decided that the first 20 minutes of class would be designated to recognizing the elections today and how much it costs us. He first read us the preamble from the Constitution and it just gave me such a sense of pride to live in a free country such as this one.

We truly don't fully realize sometimes what is has cost our nation to live in a country like this where we are not subject to physical abuse for our belief even if we do get some verbal abuse. Many men and women have died in wars so that we could have the liberties that we have. So I hope than when you vote today, before you even pull that lever or punch that hole that you would take a moment to remember those who could not vote. Cast your vote for those who could not vote because their lives were cut short.

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. ~Abraham Lincoln

No comments: